Being a 29-year-old single LDS girl these days is interesting. This stage of life is a whole different ball game from the younger single years, and I wanted to share some thoughts on what it's like.
Keep in mind that while I speak for all us (the older LDS YSA crowd) in this post, my opinions are mine alone, and not everyone will feel the same way. This list is to clear up a lot of misconceptions about our group. Yes, there will always be some who DO fit the stereotypes, but most of us don't.
So, without further ado,
11 things you should know about the the older YSA crowd:
1: We do not all have dark holes of emptiness and misery in our souls because we are not married.
Keep in mind that while I speak for all us (the older LDS YSA crowd) in this post, my opinions are mine alone, and not everyone will feel the same way. This list is to clear up a lot of misconceptions about our group. Yes, there will always be some who DO fit the stereotypes, but most of us don't.
So, without further ado,
11 things you should know about the the older YSA crowd:
1: We do not all have dark holes of emptiness and misery in our souls because we are not married.
I admit it... I was the girl whose plan was to go to college, find a husband, get a college degree, and then live happily ever after as a stay at home mom. When I was a freshman at USU and first met my 21-year-old RA roommate, I remember thinking, "Wait. But she's a senior in college... and NOT MARRIED. How is that even possible?" Yes, I eventually ate my words, and I quickly realized that 21 is basically still a baby in the world of adulthood. (This coming from the obviously older and wiser 29-year-old who clearly knows everything...let's be honest, I'm still a baby.)
At some point, when our lives don't go as planned and we find ourselves all grown up with no spouse, it gets confusing. There's a moment of, "Wait a second. There's a big piece of my plan missing and now I don't know what to do with myself." But guess what? With a little time, we usually figure it out. We learn that we can be happy by ourselves. We begin to understand how fulfilling life can be when we work, serve, and play. We develop our talents in ways that can benefit others. And we are happy. Despite popular belief, we are not sitting on the couch woefully awaiting the day when that special person will just magically appear and grant us the happiness we never knew.
Will marriage add to our happiness? I sure hope so!
Will it create it? Nope. There are too many young adults in our culture who expect a fairy tale marriage to magically make everything wonderful in their world. But you have to be whole as an individual before a relationship can be whole.
So, we work to progress and become better, all the while enjoying the moment.
2: We are not all bitter towards the opposite sex.
Yes, guys are confusing and frustrating sometimes. But so are girls. I am not ignorant to the frustration I've put many a guy through because of my own indecisiveness and lack of communication. I feel that having that experience helps me be more patient with guys when they confuse me. Sure, there a few legitimate scumbags out there, but I figure most guys are just trying their hardest, like I am, and if they end up hurting me, it is likely not intentional.
3: We are not all bitter when our friends get married and have families.
We've all seen it - the people who attend their best friends' wedding receptions with a fake smile, trying to hide the anger and bitterness deep inside, all because it's NOT THEM. And let's be honest, we've all probably been there at one time or another. Years ago, both of my roommates got engaged within a month after I called off my wedding. It was hard and painful, and though I knew it would all make sense someday, at the time, it seemed so... unfair. Why did they deserve it, but not me?
After some time and some healing, I realized that was a completely selfish attitude. I was making others' relationship success about ME.
When others succeed in their relationships, that doesn't mean we have failed more. Most of us understand that. If we really love our friends, we will love it when happy things happen in their lives, too.
Yes, guys are confusing and frustrating sometimes. But so are girls. I am not ignorant to the frustration I've put many a guy through because of my own indecisiveness and lack of communication. I feel that having that experience helps me be more patient with guys when they confuse me. Sure, there a few legitimate scumbags out there, but I figure most guys are just trying their hardest, like I am, and if they end up hurting me, it is likely not intentional.
3: We are not all bitter when our friends get married and have families.
We've all seen it - the people who attend their best friends' wedding receptions with a fake smile, trying to hide the anger and bitterness deep inside, all because it's NOT THEM. And let's be honest, we've all probably been there at one time or another. Years ago, both of my roommates got engaged within a month after I called off my wedding. It was hard and painful, and though I knew it would all make sense someday, at the time, it seemed so... unfair. Why did they deserve it, but not me?
After some time and some healing, I realized that was a completely selfish attitude. I was making others' relationship success about ME.
When others succeed in their relationships, that doesn't mean we have failed more. Most of us understand that. If we really love our friends, we will love it when happy things happen in their lives, too.
4: We love support, but not pity parties.
"So are you dating anyone?"
"Not at the moment, no."
"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry..."
Really? Because I'm not. You wanna know why?
5: Because our self-worth is not based on having significant others.
Really? Because I'm not. You wanna know why?
5: Because our self-worth is not based on having significant others.
We are daughters (children) of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. :)
But really. If a guy isn't interested in us, it's OKAY. God is. And in my eyes, knowing that and reflecting that knowledge in our daily living is what makes a person truly attractive.
6: The fact that we are not currently in committed, exclusive relationships does not automatically mean that we couldn't possibly have anyone TO date.
What I'm really trying to say is, just because you happen to know another single male somewhere in the world doesn't automatically make him a perfect match for me, OR my only living possibility for marriage. If you know a girl well, and you know a guy well, and you genuinely think they could potentially be a good match, great! Set them up. But don't go setting up the whole world on blind dates just because you think we all need help finding other single people.
We are not desperate.
We are not desperate.
7: Most of us actually are trying.
Some of the conversations I have with people (even my family) lead me to believe that we just don't even try when it comes to this whole relationship thing. We just sit around being bitter, or we don't want to commit so we just float from one person to the next, or we're just lazy. While that may be true for some, it's not for all. And let me be clear here: this point is really not to defend myself, it's to defend all the incredible guys I have met and dated in the past several years.
Everywhere I go, there are lots of really great guys who date frequently. They know how to call a girl, ask her on a date, and plan out a lovely evening. This is me defending older YSA men: they are trying hard! And yes, so are the girls. We may be a little pickier as time goes by, yes, but only because we don't want to make the same mistakes twice. We are all trying.
Some of the conversations I have with people (even my family) lead me to believe that we just don't even try when it comes to this whole relationship thing. We just sit around being bitter, or we don't want to commit so we just float from one person to the next, or we're just lazy. While that may be true for some, it's not for all. And let me be clear here: this point is really not to defend myself, it's to defend all the incredible guys I have met and dated in the past several years.
Everywhere I go, there are lots of really great guys who date frequently. They know how to call a girl, ask her on a date, and plan out a lovely evening. This is me defending older YSA men: they are trying hard! And yes, so are the girls. We may be a little pickier as time goes by, yes, but only because we don't want to make the same mistakes twice. We are all trying.
8: We know that it will all work out.
"Don't worry, I PROMISE your prince will come!"
"Don't lose hope, it will happen when you least expect it!"
"Just try not to get discouraged that you're not married yet, God has a plan for everyone!"
The annoying thing about these comments is that when we smile and say, "I know," the pitiful looks we receive in response make us feel like you think we are just saying that to shut you up. But really. WE KNOW. It's okay.
At our age, chances are we've all been in at least one or two serious relationships, and come fairly close to getting married...but obviously, it didn't work out. It is hard to make it through an experience like that without learning this lesson - that things work out how they should. Eventually, we see why, we are so grateful that things didn't work out how we wanted them to back then. These experiences strengthen our faith in God and His timing. We trust and believe that if we are living the best we know how, everything will all work out wonderfully.
Living faithfully is so much better than living in fear, bitterness, and discouragement.
The annoying thing about these comments is that when we smile and say, "I know," the pitiful looks we receive in response make us feel like you think we are just saying that to shut you up. But really. WE KNOW. It's okay.
At our age, chances are we've all been in at least one or two serious relationships, and come fairly close to getting married...but obviously, it didn't work out. It is hard to make it through an experience like that without learning this lesson - that things work out how they should. Eventually, we see why, we are so grateful that things didn't work out how we wanted them to back then. These experiences strengthen our faith in God and His timing. We trust and believe that if we are living the best we know how, everything will all work out wonderfully.
Living faithfully is so much better than living in fear, bitterness, and discouragement.
9: We'd rather be happily single than miserably married.
This may sound really selfish, and I will be the first to admit that being single has its perks. We can have 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep almost every single night. Nobody depends on us and we can do whatever we want, whenever we want. We can have alone time...every day. When the time comes for me to have my own family, I'll miss that. A lot.
But that's not what this is about. We have seen so many miserable marriages. Infidelity, pornography, selfishness, abuse, manipulation and controlling spouses... these are no longer things we just hear about, they are things that happen to our brothers and sisters, our parents, our very close friends...AND for many of us in our dating relationships. Yes, we know any good marriage takes a lot of hard work, communication and compromise. No, we are not waiting for the "perfect" marriage. It's just that we would much rather wait for an opportunity for a good marriage, instead of settling for one with major problems.
10: It's not that there's something wrong with us.
"HOW are you not married yet?!"
If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this...
I have to admit, I do it to. I see someone fabulous and ask myself the same question about them, and then I wonder if there's some deep dark secret that's keeping them from marriage. But the fact of the matter is most of us are pretty normal, and pretty awesome, if I do say so myself!
If we knew the answer to this question, we'd tell you. But I have a feeling this is one of those "this will all make sense in retrospect" things. God knows the answer, and that's all that matters.
"HOW are you not married yet?!"
If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this...
I have to admit, I do it to. I see someone fabulous and ask myself the same question about them, and then I wonder if there's some deep dark secret that's keeping them from marriage. But the fact of the matter is most of us are pretty normal, and pretty awesome, if I do say so myself!
If we knew the answer to this question, we'd tell you. But I have a feeling this is one of those "this will all make sense in retrospect" things. God knows the answer, and that's all that matters.
11: Though we might not know exactly what we're looking for, we know it will be worth the wait.
I believe this. I believe I will FEEL when it's right, and though it will take work, it will also be wonderful.
Until then, I'm content just being me.
Love this post. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know I'm in good company! From one older YSA to another -- well said!
ReplyDeleteI don't know you but Amen! I may have to print this off and give it to my family :)
ReplyDeleteawesome post. I think it's good to "educate people" sometimes on the realities of life. As a 33 y.o. single LDS women I agree with you thoughts and then some!
ReplyDeleteThat was great! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete"'HOW are you not married yet?!'
ReplyDeleteIf I had a nickel for every time I've been asked this..." ...you should just take those nickels, put them in a sock and bludgeon the next person to ask that question. :) I love your writing. Please don't stop.
Great post! I was just having this conversation the other day with someone gasped when I said I'm a 36 year old, single, Mormon girl. :)
ReplyDeleteI would add #12--We are not "lonely". Just because I am not currently in a relationship does not mean that I am lonely. It just means that I am not in a relationship. I have a large, tight-knit family, and many friends of both genders. It seems that any general conference/sacrament meeting/stake conference talk directed at singles tries to empathize with "we understand how lonely you are." To me that only emphasizes how much they do NOT understand my challenges.
ReplyDeleteLove this! I'm not single anymore, nor was I ever "older" but I have a lot of friends that can totally relate and we have had this conversation many a times. You are an amazing writer, Katie! Will you add me to your private blog again with my new email? lizmjwoodfield@gmail.com - love your writing and thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't be surprised if this gets deleted, but I say this will all sincerity, and no sense of malice. Leave the church. Life is much better without the guilt and pain that the church hands you at every turn. The world outside of Mormonism is full of great men in their 30s who see women as more than just a vessel for bearing them children.
ReplyDeleteLife is too short to waste one more minute of it with the LDS faith.
Another one to add: I know the widows are trying to be nice by offering to let my sit with them on "widow row", but I am only 29;not 79.
ReplyDelete:-)
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post, Katie! This is exactly the type of content I’m looking to post on my blog for LDS single adults. Is it okay if I repost this on my blog with a link back to your site?
ReplyDeleteAlso, I really like the pictures on your blog – the high resolution and the vividness of the colors really make the images stand out! I’m trying to get into photography, can you let me know what type of lens you used to take those shots?
Well done! I was 29 when I was baptized, a couple years ago. After the "dust" settled I kept on hearing the same thing. "Well, now we need to find you a wife." Sometimes I feel bad for not being closer to marriage, then I remember that it's going to happen how it will whether I, or anyone else worries about it. I'm not in it alone. Thanks for posting this.
ReplyDeleteYou should meet my nephew John. lol
ReplyDeleteSaw the article on Deseret News and shared it on my facebook page. Did you know the LDS Church has a Mid Single Adult Program. My husband and I are the Charlottesville VA Stake Mid Single Adult Advisors. Are you participating in it at all? I would love for you to become involved and post about your MSA Program... Thanks, Giana Miller gigi.mllr17@yahoo.com ; fb: Giana Miller (Hardesty)
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing this, it would be nice for most married people with single friends to read. I really liked number 9. I get harassed about not being married as well, a married friend of mine recently quoted some church authority who had said that, "any man and woman living the gospel could have a successful marriage". I said, "yeah, I could also work as a bank teller for the rest of my life." Just because something can be done doesn't mean there isn't better. Loved your blog.
ReplyDeleteAlso Michael Paul Bailey, I find it hilarious that though your comment may have been sincere, it was definitely full of malice.
You are a man, as much as I try and relate and empathize with women, I will never truly understand them and how they view many things because I am also a man. Stop assuming you know so much about women.
I encourage women to pursue all their goals, career, family or otherwise. You've proven pretty solidly that there are also men outside the church (yourself) who are equally as ignorant and dimwitted as the ones you claim exist within it.
Please stop letting your decision to leave a faith keep you from enjoying your life, as you quite obviously do, by looking for reasons to leave hateful comments on the internet. Just because its easy doesn't make it worth doing.
"If a guy isn't interested in us, it's OK. God is." SO true, but I had never thought of it that way. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and broadening my view. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! Thanks for posting.
ReplyDeleteLove that you are crushing those stereotypes. They are cancerous and can become the straw man that leaves a negative light on any subject. Loved reading this.
ReplyDeleteHaha, this is such a coincidence! (or is it?)
ReplyDeleteYesterday I was at a YSA weekend and I was talking with a couple of 25+ YSAs during the night, we had great fun. Strong, independent, happy people all. This would have been great conversation material for last night! In a country where there are very few members of the church (I'm from the Netherlands which has about 9,000 members out of 17 million inhabitants), it is quite a challenge to find someone with which you connect on a deep romantic level. But still there can be stereotypes towards older single YSAs, even though I'm quite sure it is not as strong as in the US. So I liked to read your article because it is very true.
Thank you
this blog is awesome. But try to be 34 and single .
ReplyDeleteI am not LDS, but this post resonated with me all the same. I have found this bypasses religious boundaries and effects us all. Just found your blog (this post) thanks to a friend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I look forward to reading more of your blog!
ReplyDelete